Sunday, November 25, 2007

Building code sucks for you and me

Building codes are an excellent idea. They protect you from all kinds of abuses by builders you never expected to happen and from doing stupid things to yourself...


But they are also horrendously complicated and expensive if you are trying to do something the least bit out of the ordinary. I've spent the last 4 days doing almost nothing but reading. And i've not gotten through a small fraction of all the material there is out there. It looks like I'm going to be spending a few hundred dollars on code book just so I know what permits to pay for and what I have to do to get them to work out. Don't even get me started on the permits. It's looking like they could be a very significant percentage of the overall cost of this adventure

Oh well I'm going back to reading a The Hand-Sculpted House. It's much better reading and much more modivational.

No comments: